Yes, I know it is supposed to be "thirsty Thursday" but we aren't really drinkers..so I will just tell all LOL.
In the past when this was primarily a card making blog I tried to steer away from getting too personal, but now that I am sharing art, I think if you know a little more about "ME" you can know a little more about my art. At least that is what I notice when I read blogs. So while this probably won't be a weekly feature, I will try to make it a regular one. I am going to tell 10 random things about me, then link you to some of my favorite products. Hope you enjoy.
1) I detest tomatoes. I have never eaten one. ever. I don't eat ketchup either. I love Italian food as long as it is sauce and no chunks of tomatoes.ewwwww. One of my worst fears is the Zombie Apocalypse happening and tomatoes being the only thing left to eat. I think I might die.
2) I have arachnophobia. Yes folks, I have a deathly fear of spiders. Now, I can kill those little ones, but after they get as big as a nickle..well..that requires some assistance. In this house when I scream every child comes running with a shoe :) Well trained they are.
3)I love to cook. Now mind you I loved it more when I didn't have to do it for 6 people.
4) I have Alopecia. My first episode of it was about 6 years ago..and it was so bad I had to by a wig and wear it for several months. Subsequent episodes haven't been that bad. I wear my hair very long in order to conceal the bald spots when I get them.
5) I am very shy about sharing my art with people, never really thought I was all that great.
6) I am blind as a BAT. Literally. I have worn glasses since I was 3. I am 37. I was touted as being "clumsy" until I centered a door nob and someone finally thought "Hmm maybe she can't see". I have super- sonic- see- the- future glasses. I have contacts..got them when I was 13, but as I have gotten older I have learned to embrace my glasses. Ok that isn't true..they just became popular so I went with it ,with cool retro looking frames.
7) I am well versed in sarcasm. Unfortunately so are my children ;)
8) I can't sing. at all. But to the dismay of my family I LOVE to sing. And dance. But I can't dance. This woman has no rhythm. period. But I love to bust a move.
9) I drink a lot of Diet Coke. A LOT people.
10) I adore my husband beyond belief. He is perfect for me. Smart, funny..geeky..and so supportive of everything I want to do.
OK..now that you know way more about me than you ever wanted to, I will link you to a few of my favorite things.
1) Prismacolor Colored Pencils These are my faves. And yes, I think at some point I have tried them all. Now there has been some concern over the last few years about breakage in the "new" line since Sanford moved their company to Mexico, but honestly I haven't noticed anything different. All pencils can get damaged in transit. Trust me. I had a new unopened box that my oldest dropped a few years ago..I ended up using those in pieces..and giving them to my dd. I however have also heard that if you have faulty pencils, Sanford will gladly replace them.
2) Stonehenge Drawing Paper. Yep, it's a bit pricey, but Oh so worth it. My other faves after this one, are
3) Strathmore Bristol or Vellum. These are the smoothest papers ever..great if you like to get fine detail. Now if you want a "toothy paper" any Canson or Strathmore is good.
4)Derwent Watercolor Pencils. These are awesome. You can shave a little of the color off , add water, and you have some liquid watercolor to work with. I have tried a couple of brands..have a couple more to try though, but so far, I like these.
5) Derwent Inktense pencils LOVE. First though, these are NOT like regular watercolors. They are "stick forms of ink"..INK. These do not blend like watercolors..they are permanent. Meaning, you can't "lift" the color out. Once they are down, they are down. Forever. They are Delicious and vibrant and awesome. But, they take a while to get used to ..trust me.
6)Drawing Inks..These ,these, these and these. OK..I LOVE love love INKS. But..if you use Inks like this make sure you find out if they are water soluble or water resistant, That makes a HUGE difference in the way you use them.
7) Charcoal..I like to use Charcoal pencils to sketch with. I like these, and these ( although I am not sure if they are straight charcoal or not..they are Carbon Pencils)
8)Other pencils..Creatacolor. This company offers several different types of pecnils..and I adore all of them.They have a wonderful woodless line..love.
9) Workable Fixative. I love this stuff. I have used it for years..many different brands ..they are all pretty much the same really. Some are better suited for certain mediums or surfaces so just pick what suits you best.( oh and don't use in your house, spray outside :) What I like to use it for in Mixed media or even for painting..is that when I use my charcoal to lay in a face or image, I can then spray it with "fix it" , let it dry, then paint over it and it won't smear. Awesome.
10) Watersoluable Pencils. There are several different brands, but these and the ones from Creatcolor are the only ones I have used personally, and I really like them. They dissolve in water( obviously, hence the name lol )..meaning you can draw with them and if you don't like it you can wet a rag and "remove" it with out using an eraser which can sometimes damage what you have painted..or your paper. TRUST ME on this. :)
11) Pens..drawing pens that is.I like waterproof ink obviously, so I like these pens and of course these. Now, with that said, the Koh-I-Noors aren't great for rough surfaces..they have a very fine, delicate nib on them and will get really messed up with rough water color paper or a really "toothy" drawing paper..and to be honest, they are VERY expensive. I have had the set I own since High School. I needed them for drafting . I have replaced the nibs on several of them a couple of times because I used them on rough paper and ruined them. So for that reason I recommend the Micron pens because they are a little more durable.
Ok Folks..that is it for my little enlightenment session today. I have a horrible cold and too much house work that gone neglected this week because of said cold. Time to put some laundry in ( ok..I am out of clean flannel jammies so I need to do laundry)
OH wait...one more MUST HAVE for me. A HEAT TOOL. I don't personally own either of these but I couldn't find the old ones I have anywhere but I assume they are all pretty much the same. I own 2..one on each desk. I use them all the time. I am a slightly impatient person when it comes to things drying, so these tools are wonderful for drying watercolors, paints..inks..etc..If you don't have one, you really should get one.
Hopefully I will be back soon with actual pictures to show you some of my recent work..hubby needs to work on the old computer first..
Until next time peeps.